ISLS Course Credit through Loyola Marymount University
As a participant in an ISLS Spanish Immersion program in Costa Rica you have the opportunity to earn Professional Development Credit from Loyola Marymount University, accredited by WASC, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. These courses have graduate-level accreditation and are designed primarily for students who have baccalaureate degrees and appropriate teaching credentials.
These semester hours of credit are used for professional advancement and to satisfy certain degree and credential requirements. Obtaining advance approval from your institution is necessary, as each district, college, or state has its own policies regarding the types of credit it will accept.
Over the past year undergraduate students at the following Universities have received transfer credits for their time in one of our programs:
- University of California at Santa Cruz
- University of Massachusetts
- University of Texas at Austin
- Lindenwood University
- Salisbury State University in Maryland
- University of South Carolina
- University of Southern California
Teachers, graduate students or undergraduate students, can receive either 3, 6 or 9 semester credit hours for time spent in an ISLS total immersion course. To receive 3 units a student must be in class for at least 48 hours, and to receive 6 units they must be in class for a minimum of 96 hours. To receive the maximum number of units possible, 9, you must be in class for a minimum of 144 hours. Loyola Marymount charges $54 a semester hour. For 3 credits the additional cost is $162, for 6 credits it is $324 and for 9 credits it is $486.
Teachers or students who are interested in receiving credits for their time in one of our Spanish immersion programs need to follow the following steps:
Professional Development Units allow you to write off the time and money spent studying Spanish at an ISLS Immersion program in Costa Rica.
- Contact ISLS for more specific information regarding professional development credits and requirements.
- Contact your local district, state or college to determine if these credits will be accepted for your purpose. Also, find out if a letter grade is required, or if a "Credit" grade is acceptable.
- Sign up for an ISLS Immersion program that meets the minimum number of hours required for the number of credits you want to receive.
- Attend and complete the ISLS Immersion program in Costa Rica and receive a certificate of completion. Save all homework and tests taken while attending our program. Upon returning to the states, photocopy at least 10 pages of your homework and two tests, these will be sent with everything in step #5.
- Complete the ISLS/Loyola Marymount Registration Form that will be sent along with the additional information requested in step number 1.
- Submit a tuition check payable to "Loyola Marymount University" for the correct amount, either $162, $324 or $486, and include with it a completed Registration Form and the certificate of completion to Professional Development Institute, 6444 E. Spring St., Rm. 285, Long Beach, CA 90815-1500. Included photocopies of at least 10 pages of homework and two tests.